|WellPoint Partners With WebMD to Offer New Online Personalized Health Tools and Information|
| New Features Help Consumers Take a More Active Role
in Managing Their Health and Health Care
INDIANAPOLIS and ELMWOOD PARK, N.J., July 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- WellPoint, Inc. (NYSE: WLP) and WebMD Corporation (Nasdaq: HLTH) announced today that WellPoint and WebMD Health have entered into a three-year agreement that will put more health information and personalization tools in the hands of the 28.5 million medical members that WellPoint serves across the United States.
Under the agreement, WellPoint will integrate WebMD Health's online health platform and Web services into its personalized member Web site. The capabilities will provide WellPoint customers with a highly personalized online health experience by bringing together trusted health information, enhanced personalization capabilities and health risk assessment tools to help consumers better manage their health and health care decision-making.
Key components of the new offering include:
* Health Content: The core of the new offering includes access to the Healthwise Knowledgebase in English and Spanish. The Healthwise Knowledgebase is one of the most reliable health resources on the Web, giving members the ability to make informed decisions about self-care, medications, conditions, tests, and treatments while facilitating the improvement of communication with members' health care providers.
* Condition Centers: With more than 35 in-depth condition centers, members can learn about important health conditions, including a wide assortment of treatment types per condition, with up-to-date descriptions, side effects and contraindications.
* Personal Health Record: This feature provides a secure, confidential online location to store self-reported health information with ongoing medical claims in order to create a complete, portable member health profile that they can share with their physician. Members can check drug interactions and cross-reference easy-to-understand explanations of medical terminology.
* HealthQuotient (HQ): Members can complete the HQ risk assessment to determine their HQ score and identify ways to lower personal health risks and track progress over time with a personalized health improvement program.
* Secure Message Center and Personal Health News: Members can receive health-related secure messages with current news, drug alerts and health tips based on their personal health interests and profiles. This personalized, objective and trustworthy information keeps members informed of timely health subjects and medical developments that matter to them.
* Fitness: LEAP(R), the Lifetime Exercise Adherence Program, is an online fitness management program created by an Olympic coach. Under the guidance of health and fitness professionals, LEAP(R) helps members measure and manage their fitness.
"WellPoint's strategy of offering leading consumer-driven products coupled with a comprehensive suite of online tools and health information helps to enhance our members' health care experience and puts the information consumers need at their fingertips," said Mark Boxer, executive vice president and chief strategy officer of WellPoint, Inc. "By engaging consumers more actively, we are helping them to continually improve their health by making them more informed and by taking a more proactive role in their health care decision- making."
"The partnership with WebMD to offer our members customized, high-quality health information reflects our commitment to translate evidence-based science into better care for the people we serve," said Sam Nussbaum, M.D., executive vice president and chief medical officer of WellPoint, Inc. "Through these enhanced health tools and high-standard content, our members will have access to the information they need to make better, more informed decisions about their health and health care."
Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Implementation of WebMD's services into the WellPoint Web sites will begin in the fourth quarter of 2005. WellPoint, Inc. Contacts WebMD Contacts Investor Relations Investor Relations Tami Durle Risa Fischer 317-488-6390 201-414-2002 Media Media Debbie Davis Jennifer Meyer 317-488-6207 212-624-3912
About WebMD Corporation
WebMD Corporation provides services that help physicians, consumers, providers and health plans navigate the healthcare system. Our products and services streamline administrative and clinical processes, promote efficiency and reduce costs by facilitating information exchange, communication and electronic transactions between healthcare participants.
WebMD Health is a leading provider of online information, educational services and communities for physicians and consumers. WebMD Practice Services is a leading provider of administrative, financial and clinical software and related services to the nation's medical practices. WebMD Business Services is a leader in payer and healthcare provider transaction processing and reimbursement cycle management services.
About WellPoint, Inc.
WellPoint, Inc. is the largest publicly traded commercial health benefits company in terms of membership in the United States. WellPoint, Inc. is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and serves its members as the Blue Cross licensee for California; the Blue Cross and Blue Shield licensee for Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri (excluding 30 counties in the Kansas City area), Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, Virginia (excluding the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C.), Wisconsin; and through HealthLink and UniCare. Additional information about WellPoint is available at http://www.wellpoint.com .
All statements contained in this press release, other than statements of historical fact, are forward-looking statements, including those regarding the amount and timing of the benefits expected from the transactions referred to in this press release. These statements are based on current plans and expectations and involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual future events or results to be different than those described in or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include those found in WellPoint's and WebMD's Securities and Exchange Commission filings. WellPoint and WebMD expressly disclaim any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
SOURCE WellPoint, Inc.; WebMD
CONTACT: Investor Relations: Tami Durle, +1-317-488-6390, Media: Debbie Davis, +1-317-488-6207, both of WellPoint, Inc.; or Investor Relations: Risa Fischer, +1-201-414-2002, Media: Jennifer Meyer, +1-212-624-3912, both of WebMD